Jamie from the Perpetual Page Turner is running an end of year book survey, and with sucha fun way to talk the best of 2012, I knew I had to join! Image Credits to Pure Imgination.
BEST IN BOOKS 2012
After 4 minutes of weighing all the wonderlicious books… I’ll go with Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor! It’s dark, it’s dangerous, it’s beautiful ♥
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
Black City by Elizabeth Richards — OMG I never expected it to be THAT AMAZING!! The twisted romance, the Darklings, and the cruelty lurking in the deepest part of humanity… Everything down to the minute details felt so real, so raw.
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
We’ve got a winner here, folks — Delirium by Lauren Oliver is absolutely and unequivocally my favourite, favourite, favourite book, the one that got me book-talking!
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
Delirium again, Lauren Oliver’s cliffhangers must be the deadliest ever. I NEED NEED NEED Requiem!! Me has been hugging meself in a corner, wondering what on earth happened to Alex
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
From 2012 onwards, Laini Taylor, Lauren Oliver, Veronica Roth and John Green are officially on my auto-buy list. I hereby declare that Alicia will spend her eternal life doting on their every need, YOU KNOW THEY’RE MY FAVE
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
A coming-of-age novel of clones and organ donation? One with deceptive simplicity on a heavy topic? Before this year, Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro would never be my cup of tea and now, I love it. There’s even a movie adaptation!!
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
I should be sent for mental checkups right away for being so slow but… The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. FINALLY!! :DDD I was perched at the edge of my seat for the entire time /strikes pose
9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
Probably The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith on stormy days.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
11. Most memorable character in 2012?
Karou of Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (pardon the obvious bias heh)! I love Karou — her wicked humour, her badassism, and her weaknesses that she tried so hard to keep secret.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern If you’ve read anything as deliciously beautiful, PLEASE, AIRMAIL ME.
Fracture by Megan Miranda reminded me of all the simplest things in life that I took for granted. It had me complicating all sorts of philosophical questions that will make my teachers proud. heh.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini. HONESTLY. My life was a lie.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
“The trouble is, sometimes words are like arrows. Once you shoot them, there’s no going back.”
― Jess Rothenberg, The Catastrophic History of You and Me
“Have you ever asked yourself, do monsters make war, or does war make monsters?”
― Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke & Bone
ANDANDAND THIS ONE:
“It never occurred to me that our lives, until then so closely interwoven, could unravel and separate over a thing like that. But the fact was, I suppose, there were powerful tides tugging us apart by then, and it only needed something like that to finish the task. If we’d understood that back then-who knows?-maybe we’d have kept a tighter hold of one another.”
― Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
Shortest: The Super Spud Trilogy, Michael Diack (262 pages)
Longest: Starcrossed, Josephine Angelini (514 pages)
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It?
The endings to Delirium and Pandemonium were like ASDFGHJKL NOT THIS WAY LAUREN OLIVER NO FREAK AHH
<inserts me flapping my arms like a chicken>
<deletes image because no one has to see that>
I loved Kate and Dee’s friendship in Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout, especially the part when Dee blackmailed Daemon to hang out with Kate! /chuckles/
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
Most books I’ve read in 2012 are debuts, so does reading the sequel count? Hallowed by Cynthia Hand is a smooth transition in the story, looking forward to Boundless!
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Black City — Sel from Bookcase to Heaven ♥
Starcrossed — All my friends who have been spazzing over it (Nat, Hongjin, Jiayi, Cookie…) You guys are topping Awesome Chart 2012!
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. Sorry Shiying!! I PROMISE SWEAR CROSS MY HEART I WILL READ IT OKAY? It must be the fault in my stars… :(
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
This year has been busy + busy + more busy and I’ve neglected this blog for months at a time so for next year, I aim to post regularly. Bear with me! :)