I’d LOVE to be reading all the time, but my body can’t take it. After 30 minutes, my back feels sore, my arms get lazy and my eyes are definitely not focusing no matter HOW I sit. I twist and turn and end up attempting acrobatics with a book in my face.
In most cases, I put the book down to do something else like stretch or take a walk. BUT. There’s always a but. The real test came when I read The Lightning Thief. UMM NO WAY I’M PUTTING THAT DOWN!! I tried reading on my bed, on my chair, on the sofa, on the floor… I got desperate and thought irritably at my sore back, “How does anyone read comfortably with class??”
I HAVE BEEN FOOLED INTO THINKING IT’S POSSIBLE:
1. reading, walking, and holding the book on one hand while looking like a keira knightley goddess
I used to be able to read while walking when I was younger (and had heightened senses). Now, I knock into people, trip over myself and get motion sickness all before finishing one sentence. Plus, people shoot weird judgmental looks when they see a girl too engrossed in reading to bother about walking properly.
2. flipping through a book effortlessly on the long, dreadful journey to school
I’ve tried this before, and it mostly worked except some problems:
- I can’t look effortlessly good on the bus to school, let’s be honest. It’s 7am in the morning, there’s the prospect of school for the next 7 hours, and I’m on a bus that bounces and swerves and jerks.
- I get motion sick (i.e. I try to hold back puke while reading).
- I ONCE MISSED THE STOP BECAUSE I WAS TOO CAUGHT UP READING =P
3. stay in the same comfy position… and will your bookshelf to magically fill itself!
This one would be such fun! At least scientists can work on the quantum tunneling of books while I seek the mythical “one comfy position” that will last me for hours.
4. exercise + reading = double win
Multitasking is a must! My mom nags at me to “get out of the house” and “move more” whenever she sees me holed up with a book. I hear audiobooks help people to listen to books when doing chores… or maybe it’s really time to sign up for a hot yoga class.
5. shoot death glares like hermione granger at people who try to interrupt my reading
Including this because hermione granger.
Do you ever feel like it’s impossible to keep to one reading position especially for long hours? I’d love to know how you look classy when you read… Or is it even worth trying!